2020-11-01

11. Frostgrave Knights

Until now, all posts were about miniatures, that were ready (already varnished), but now! Now is time for a brand new box (I love the excitement of new miniatures way too much…)! And this will be, the new Frostgrave Knights box, because they were too good looking to save my wallet longer from them (yeah, I could hold myself back for 2 whole weeks after release…).

I don’t want to show a classic unboxing, because you can find very sharp pictures on the internet about the sprue you just need to imagine opening the cardboard box before it, and tada, there you have the unboxing. Instead just a short introduction of the set: 2 hard plastic sprues, with multi-part / multi-pose figures. Each sprue has 5 bodies and a lot of other options: 22 heads, 5 shields, some small stuff (quivers, bags, etc.) and 18 handheld weapons. And a handheld lamp. And a handheld chicken. So the set is incredibly versatile, but to be honest, the price pro figure in non-GW scale is pretty high, 1,8€ (Oathmark sets have under 1€/figure value). Is it worth it? I would say absolutely yes! The parts are beautifully, and as said, the lot of options let you make really unique and characterful miniatures. The only thing I don’t like in this set, is the low number of figures. They are so good, I really would have happily payed more for a third sprue.



Now let’s see, what my family and I made out of it! So we have 10 bodies, mostly heavily armored. Its logical to make knights and templars from it (we never used marksman, the third soldier type with heavy armor, so didn’t feel the urge of making such figures). I decided to make two of each, one pair of a lawful looking, crusader type soldiers, and another with a more evil, chaotic appearance. For the evil templar I got an idea for a symbol, thats why the shield on the back.

Next were 2 rangers (or one a bit more like a treasure hunter). They got fitting heads and weapons for it, not much to tell here. They turned out not the best, maybe I should have made two more captains instead of them (see next paragraph).




So there were 4 remaining figures, and 4 family members… Lets go freestyle, and everybody makes a unique captain (an interesting solder type from Frostgrave Folio) miniature, without any restriction. There are the two from my sons (so don’t await any explanation and story, they just took what they like, and that’s perfectly fine so).

My wife took also body parts, what she liked. For her, I made some modifications: I drilled a hole in the hand which is holding a mace on the shoulder, and replaced it with the two handed flail (simply cut the original hand from it), and it got two ponytails (from the braided beard of a Frostgrave Barbarian head). It turned out to be a strongly built, heavily armored female captain, like Brienne of Tarth (from Game of Thrones). I really like the result.

For myself, I wanted to make an experienced, gnarled, veteran adventurer, who is looking cautiously for traps and treasures in the dark. The fix points were the one-eyed head, and the lamp holding hand. I wanted to give him some ranged weapon, and I think it would look good, with a crossbow, pointing forward, ready to be shot on anything that’s lurking outside of the lamp light. I also wanted a lot of stuff on him: quiver, blanket, knife, axe, shield, helmet (I simply cut the rest of the head from it), bag and a small bottle from the Frostgrave Wizards set. I think it’s pretty well done, it tells the story what I wanted.




That’s for today. Next time some kitbashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment